Funding from MOHE
One of the major funding opportunities opened for the faculty is the fundings from the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). Fundings from MOHE are categorised into 4 (2011 - 2012, total RM741m):
1. FRGS - Fundamental Research Grant Scheme
- WHY & HOW
- Research that can produce theory, concept or new ideas
- Discipline-based research
- Duration: 2-3 years
- Ceiling amount RM250K and payment RM125K per year
2. Experiment Research Grant Scheme
- WHAT & WHERE
- Problem-based research, inter-discipline (within institution)
- More of expansion of ideas from the fundamental concept
- Findings can be expended to applied
- Duration: 2-3 years
- Ceiling amount RM300k & payment RM100k per year
3. LRGS - Long Term Research Grant Scheme
- Fundamental research that need more than 3 years
- Must be Multi-Institutional and Multi-Disciplinary
- Problem-based research, inter-discipline, inter-institution
- Duration: 3-5 years (at least 3 years)
- Ceiling fund RM3million/project
- Top-down (programme leaders only from RUs, members from other IPT can be project leaders within the programme)
- Bottom-up (leaders can be from other IPTs)
- Global warming;
- Tropical medicine;
Energy and water security;
Food efficiency and;
4. PRGS - Prototype Research Grant Scheme
- Prototype development (lab prototype) for pre-commercialization
- Duration: 1-2 years
- Ceiling fund - RM500,000/project (one off, lump sum)
Funding Opening (official announcement will be made by MOHE later):
Research field - S&T and social sciences
Fundings/Principal investigator - more than one but for different categories. Eg. 1 FRGS + 1 ERGS. Expatriate - allowed but co-researcher must be permanent local academics.
Focus : Fundamental research, which translates to research to solve fundamental issues/root cause of problems affecting the society, industry, etc. Need to be creative in writing the proposal to highlight this aspect.
- Mid-Jan 11 - ERGS and LRGS
- End-Feb 11 - FRGS and PRGS
- FRGS, ERGS & PRGS - MOHE form as attached.
- note: the FRGS form is different from previous cycle, please use the latest form.
Kindly go thru internal screening - forms as attached:
- Based on proposal,
- Fill up MOHE Form 1 for proposal
- Present to MOHE (presentation session)
- If recommended by MOHE, fill up MOHE Form 2
- Submit to MOHE.
- Currently Form 1 & 2 are not available by MOHE. The template will be sent out to prepare the proposal for the time being.
Please make sure that the latest amended proposal (after internal screening) is sent to IPSR, not the 1st draft submitted to faculty (unless there is no amendments after screening at faculty level).Please attached flow chart, milestone, cv.
Guidelines from MOHE is not available yet, will be uploaded in MOHE website.
As for the softcopy, we shall advise accordingly.Details will be posted at the research portal (additional powerpoint slides from MOHE)Contact person in IPSR :
- Internal screening form (1 evaluator is required)
- Recommendation from faculty
- Bong SM & Zeenat - Ext 820
- Zahrah - Ext 8204